About Me

My photo
Mandate the hell out of it!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The worst Writer's Block I've ever had! (Or is it something else?)

I don't know if this is just a really f***ed up case of Writer's Block or what, but lately I just haven't had much passion to write anything but ::shuddder:: stuff for school (and, of course, blogs :D). I shouldn't have said "::shudder::"--since I've been spending so much time on it, my writing for school has gotten really, really good. But I'd like to spend some nights just writing my own stories or poems or scripts or whatever. I have a couple of friends who never seem to have the affliction of Writer's Block, but that's because (they say) they take a day off every now and then and just listen to music or watch TV or whatever but they don't read or write at all. It seems like it could work--like, doing that lets the creative juices build back up again while the fingers and the imagination rest. But my imagination and my vocabulary are two things that I've always prided myself on, and I like to express and nurture them by using them often. I just realized in writing this, though, that maybe nurturing my writing ability means shutting down my mind for a bit and letting everything re-boot and regain some kind of composure.

Hmm, this is kind of an interesting topic. Anyone else have some ideas about Writer's Block or ways to get rid of it?

2 comments:

Alex Resare said...

I had something to say but I can't find the right words... :)


When writers block hit me I think of it as a time given to me to get another view on things. A pause to learn something or do something else. If i panic on the not existing writing it feel bad and worthless, but since I started to realize that I often get my best work done after a break I think of my blocks as blessings.

Elliot Coale said...

Thanks, Alex. I think I've started to realize that same thing--that the best writing can come when you've taken a break from it for a little while, or even when you least expect it.