About Me

My photo
Mandate the hell out of it!

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Ze's a Bear


In my post from yesterday, I talked a little about my new friend S. Bear Bergman, who describes hirself as "a good example of what happens when you overeducate a contrarian" and is also a writer, a theater artist, an instigator, and a gender-jammer. Hir book, Butch Is A Noun, is simply incredible--I bought it on Friday before I (quite unexpectedly) met hir on Monday, and I haven't read very far into it because it's really intense and in-depth, but from what I've read so far it's very, very good.

Ze is going on tour with hir book, but ze said that when ze returns, ze and I will spend some time just...talking. About...whatever, including everything.

Just to show how unbelievably incredible ze is, and how much ze cares about Trans. issues because ze is also a member of the Trans. community, I want to end this entry with a short quote from hir poem "Day of Remembrance", which ze wrote as a contribution to the Transgender Day of Remembrance and which I saw hir read at the services that both of us attended on Monday:
"I'm here with my tribe
this family's my wealth
and I would die without them
before I would live by myself"


Linkage:

4 comments:

Peterson Toscano said...

wow ze sounds amazing. Can't wait to hear more. Ellipt I love hoe you connect with people. Such a great skill.

Elliot Coale said...

Thanks, Peterson. I like being able to connect with people like I do, too.

Alex Resare said...

After reading your blog for a while I just have to say: Can't wait to meet you!

Elliot Coale said...

Alex: Yaaaaay! I can't wait to meet you, either!