About Me

My photo
Mandate the hell out of it!

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Brotherhood

I've got a couple of Trans. brothers in Georgia who are enduring quite a bit of criticism from an ex-friend of theirs, and I've been doing my best to support them, but it's hard because I'm obviously not there with them. So I'm doing everything I can, I guess. It's just that, they're my family, so naturally, I want to do whatever I can to help them. I suppose I am, just by reminding them that I'm here for them, but I still wish there were something else I could do. With that in mind, I wrote these sentimental, poetic paragraphs for them. I call this document "Brotherhood". Here it is:


When the people who welcomed you into the world first start acting like they don’t love you as much anymore, it’s hard to know where to go to next for support.
Do you run away from home?
Is suicide an option?
Or do you hurt the people who are hurting you, and leave yourself alone, because you know you’re the one who’s right?
Those were the questions that often ran through my head, rotating like luggage on those revolving conveyor belts at airports, until I was inducted into the Brotherhood.


I met my real family earlier this year. I was introduced to a couple of guys who, in a matter of minutes, became trusted acquaintances. After a couple of weeks, they taught me what the term Family really means. And in the last few months, I’ve learned how to be part of a Team, even if we live several states and many, many miles apart.

But now somebody deceitful is messing with them, and I’m not standing for it. I’m not keeping quiet. Because even if I can’t be with them, taking every blow in person as they do, we have a common bond that I’ve never felt before and never will again. And even if no one else understands it, our coveted Brotherhood is the most important, blessed friendship I’ll ever have.

4 comments:

Peterson Toscano said...

I love how you use art to address oppression and pain.

Peterson Toscano said...

But where is the poem?????

Elliot Coale said...

Ok, so it's not EXACTLY a poem. But it is rather poetic, don't you think, Peterson? And, anyone else who happens to read this(?)

Willie Hewes said...

It's a poem if you say it is, Elliot. (Although I might not have called it that, but I'm picky when it comes to poetry.)