About Me

My photo
Mandate the hell out of it!

Monday, December 18, 2006

To my Chosen Family

After reading the most recent posting made by Alex (entitled "carpe dium quam minimum credula postero"), I knew that I just had to post this poem that I wrote here on my blog. It, again, is about cherishing the Chosen Family that we, as Trans-identifying people, need to find in order to keep our sanity, and, sometimes, our lives. This is not only for the Transmen and Transwomen in my life, but also to everybody who doesn't feel like they have anyone to count on or love, or who loves them back. Read this poem, and know that whoever you are, even if you do not identify as Trans, you are not alone.

“Affair (These Transgender hearts)”

I have love affairs with my siblings
Some intimate part of me belongs to each of them
And I touch them differently than other people
We hold each other tighter and longer
When we embrace
We press our lips against one another’s cheeks more tenderly
When we kiss
I love them in a way unlike I love
People whose lives I was dropped into as an infant
Because they don’t have to love me
We don’t have to care for one another
But we do anyway

We do not engage in romance in the traditional sense
We do not share candlelit dinners
We do not bathe together in warm water and fragrant bubbles
We do not cuddle naked on any rug on any floor
We do not make sweet love
But we still care very deeply for each other
In the truest, most passionate way
We keep finding true love
Again and again in the hearts of more and more people
These Transgender hearts that were so hurt for so long
No other affair has ever been as sweet
As the one I have with my Chosen Family

No comments: