About Me

My photo
Mandate the hell out of it!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Tranny boy's day out

I had a really, really terrific afternoon today. It was raining, yes, but that did not diminish the joy I had in spending time with Bear at all. We were never at a lack of things to talk about in the 2 hours we spent together, so that post from last week contained worries I needn't have come up with in the first place. Bear and I had lunch with my mother, and they got along quite well. They talked a lot about my college situation, and Bear said that ze knows that I could get into a bigger institution than just community college. I want to, as well, but I just don't know how to, what with my grades and our financial situation. However, that's a topic for another time, so let's just carry on, shall we?

After we had lunch, and my mother left to return to her job, Bear and I decided to get dessert. Ze got a pastry (which, I found out, was delicious, because ze gave me a bite) and I got a chocolate chip cookie (because I hadn't had one in a long time). Following that, we talked a bit more, and then jumped into Bear's car to drive around for a bit and try to find another place where we could talk. We found such a place at the local Thrift Store. There, Bear bought me 2 shirts (which I like very much), and ze also bought a couple of gifts for some of hir other friends.

Today I also spent some time with my friend Davey, and I think that we may have had our first "brotherly moment". Only recently have I taken to verbally referring to Davey as my brother, even though I've felt that kind of connection with him practically from the moment we met. But I felt extra connected with him today. We were sitting across from each other (him in his chair, and me on one of the 2 futons in his workplace) and we were talking about...something. He looked at me with a small smile, and I said something along the lines of "I'm proud that you're my big brother". And in a few seconds, I looked up at him (because I'd been looking at my feet as I said that to him) and he was still smiling at me the same way. But I thought I saw something different in his eyes that I'd never seen before--maybe, a hint of pride in the knowledge that he made such an impact on my life.

So I had a wonderful day. But, what's more, I finally came to a conclusion that I've been working on in this mind of mine for quite a while. I figured out that the reason that I like being with my Trans friends is not just because we have the common bond of being Trans, but also that I feel safer with them than I've ever felt with my biological family. And whatever Davey and Bear felt today (because I hope that Bear felt some pride in knowing that I look up to hir so much), I'm happy that they're parts of my life so that I can give them opportunities to feel proud of me. It's a great feeling when you realize that just something you said makes people that you look up to feel good about you.

3 comments:

Peterson Toscano said...

sounds like a most excellent day! so glad you had it and so glad you shared it.

Willie Hewes said...

Told you. :P It's good to hear you had a good day. :D

Also: you have been tagged! Full rules here: http://williehewescomics.blogspot.com/2006/12/6-weird-things.html

Elliot Coale said...

Thanks, guys.

Ahhh...tagged. Sounds like fun! I'll get right on that (I know what it is because I read Peterson's blog :D