About Me

My photo
Mandate the hell out of it!

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Mixed emotions

I'm experiencing a strange mixture of feelings this morning. I'm really happy because I've finished the first draft of my Extended Literary Analysis on Leslie Feinberg's books Stone Butch Blues and Drag King Dreams. My English teacher read it through and though he had a couple of notes about places I should look at and alter a bit, he really loved it. So that's uplifting.

But lots of things happening around me right now are not nearly as positive. I'm seeing Bear on Wednesday, and I'm really, really excited about that (yes (or, of course), still), but it's supposed to rain that day. And hard. Maybe if I keep hoping that the weather will change, and pray (and pray and pray and pray) for the sun to be out that day, it will be. I guess that sort of wishful thinking can't hurt.

Still, though, there are some events approaching that I'm having a hard time finding a silver lining in. For instance, on Tuesday, the school principal is coming to our GSA's meeting so that we can ask her questions about why she's being such a hardass bitch about us being visible in the school community. Our advisors have told us that we can't ask her attacking questions, but she's been both attacking and ignoring our group, and that feels really terrible. So she deserves to be called a bitch and be screamed at for her lack of support for our group. Then, that night, the school committee is holding a meeting in the library where the GSA will be discussed. We're a public school, so, according to my most-informed Trans friends and our group's advisors, we're legally allowed to have a GSA.

But something that is not legally backed is my current personal fight with the principal and vice-principal to have one of my Trans friends come and speak to my Contemporary Issues class in support of my project about discrimination of Transgender people. Apparently, very few other students are as interested in having a speaker come--usually, it's the teachers who schedule speakers to come for assemblies and to individual classes. But no one else has ever shown interest in having a Transgender person come to speak, so while I'm a trailblazer of sorts, my friend also probably won't be able to come for my Contemporary Issues class. I have a chance with having a couple of my Trans friends (my brothers, whom my post "Brotherhood" is about) come to speak in March to my English class in support of my Senior Project about Transgender Life, because it's a requirement for each student to have some kind of speaker(s) come into the classroom who know(s) about our topic. But I wanted to make a change for our school not only in my Contemporary Issues but in my English class as well.....I guess that's not going to happen.

2 comments:

Peterson Toscano said...

You are such a trailblazer!

Elliot Coale said...

Thanks, Peterson. I really appreciate the encouragement, and your friendship. ::hugs::